Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

John Robison Event

If you have followed my blog from the beginning, or you read my early entires, you would know that I have spent the past 4, going on 5, summers working with children on the Autism Spectrum at YouthCare. YouthCare provides a summer camp experience for children on the Autism Spectrum in both Charlestown and Westwood, MA. There are also teen programs in the summer, including career skill building and summer explorations. During the school year there are opportunities for social skills groups and programs for teens (e.g. Saturday Explorations). 


In working with children on the Autism Spectrum, I immediately fell in love. I love the uniqueness of every child I encounter. I love the challenges each child brings to the table that helps me to grow professionally and personally, even if its hard to see the payoff in the moment. These children can be so misunderstood sometimes and I am happy to be an advocate for them and be on their side.


Aside from working hands-on with children, I also find myself self-educating. I have a few books on my shelf that involve Autism. One book that I truly enjoyed is Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's. When I was in college I saw someone carrying this book around. I didn't know what the subject matter was, but the cover looked intriguing. I went online and researched it to discover a memoir written by a man named John Elder Robison. He spent his life unaware he has Asperger's. The stories he tells and the life he has lived is unbelievable! I definitely recommend the memoir, especially is you are interested in this population. 


On May 18th, YouthCare is holding a book signing and discussion with John Robison. He has recently written a second book titled Be Different: Adventures of a Free-Range Aspergian. I can't wait to pick this book up for a summer read!


If you're interested in learning more about John Robison, check out this interview from the Today Show. For more information on Autism Spectrum Disorders check out this Youtube channel: the Wrong Planet. I haven't had a chance to browse it yet, but definitely will be soon.


For more information on the event, please check this website and RSVP for the event. EVENT WEBSITE Hope to see you there!


Until next thyme,
Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment