Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Goal Writing

First off, look at me posting twice this week! (::happy dance that looks a little like Carlton on Fresh Prince::)


Tonight's post sadly comes out of frustration. Remember earlier this week when I mentioned I was enjoying having nothing to do? Well, that's changed a bit. I had an annual meeting regarding a student I work with. Long story short (and confidentiality issues), we have decided to add a formal counseling goal surrounding some frustration/emotion regulation/anger management challenges. Sweet. Exactly what was need. Oh wait, except I now entirely responsible for his meeting of this goal (aside from the teeny responsibility he has to listen to me and use the coping skills we discuss--re:sarcasm). 

So, here I am tonight trying to write a goal for him. Then I remember, we have never talked about goal writing in my program (either that, or I wasn't paying attention. If you know me, this is highly unlikely). Alas, what is a girl to do? Answer: consult the interweb! I learned that there are things called "IEP Goal Banks." Who knew?? Well, I do not encourage one to rely solely on this service, it is quite helpful. These banks served as a foundation for where to start and ideas for potential benchmarks. I also rummaged through my supervisor's office today and her many organized binders of resources to find some information on goal writing. 



I have just sent off my goal to my other supervisor for review. Even told him to critique away, which is definitely not me. (Disclosure: I am extremely sensitive and do not take constructive/critical feedback well. I take it as a failure. Funny, especially since I want someone to give me things I can work on and ask for it. Where was my school psychologist when I was younger to identify these internal issues I have?!?!). 


Below I have listed my goal and benchmarks. Feel free to critique, especially since it is my first attempt at writing any goals ever. period. (I have obviously cleansed the goal/benchmarks and have not included identifying information). 



Goal
X will identify and manage his frustration on a daily basis with minimal teacher support as measured by classroom observations and teacher report.

Benchmarks
  •           X will be able to identify situations and personal triggers in which he gets frustrated.
  •           X will be able to distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate behaviors for expressing his frustration.
  •           X will be able to be able to identify appropriate situations and for exhibiting appropriate and expected behavior responses.
  •           X will decrease his use of the ‘walk away’ strategy in the classroom inappropriately (i.e., without permission and disrespectfully).
  •           X will ask for teacher permission to take a break (‘walk away’) when he is feeling frustrated, leaving in a respectful manner and for an expected amount of time (approximately five minutes).
  •          X will be able to choose from a reference list of appropriate alternative strategies with a reminder from his teachers in the school environment.



Until next thyme,
Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment