Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

IT HAS TO STOP.


YouTube. In a moments notice a video goes from zero to sixty with over a million views. Today that video is from a boy named Jonah Mowry.  There is a significant amount of press circulating about this video and unfortunately not all of it is positive. Regardless of whether this video is authentic, it moves mountains. I myself teared up while watching. The video, working in a middle school, and the amount of national attention bullying has had recently culminated in the conscious recognition that IT HAS TO STOP. 

I remember my own childhood and feeling targeted at times. I remember the pain my brother went through from a young grade. As a school professional I hope that I will be able to touch the lives of children like Jonah, who feel isolated and alone. I hope I can make a difference and help students work through this challenging time. I hope I can find the words to empathize with these students and support them in the ways they need. 

Since its posting other videos have been made in response. Jonah inspired young people to reach out to each other, support each other, and find courage to share their burdens with others. I hope these students find the strength they need to reach out to their families, friends, or other trusted adults (like your school psychologist) to get the support they need. As a friend of someone experiencing this amount of pain it is important to find someone you trust and share their secret. In the long run, your friend will thank you for it. 


As I've said before in previous posts, it still rings true: YOU ARE LOVED!

Until next thyme,
Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment